What is ETS-SP?
ETS-SP stands for the Expiration Term of Service- Sponsorship Program.
ETS-SP is a program established in partnership with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and the U.S. Army to sponsor soldiers through the transition process from military to civilian life. ETS-SP is about a personal relationship between the transitioning service member and the sponsor.
Who can have a sponsor?
Any service members/Veterans who are transitioning to a civilian community.
What if I am undecided on my final destination?
- You will choose your final destination and determine the logistics involved in getting there; your sponsor will mentor and assist with resources and guidance.
- If you do not know your final destination, you will be connected to an ETS sponsor who will assist you in the decision making process.
- When you choose your new community, you will be connected to a local sponsor.
Why should I have a sponsor ?
- Connect with someone who can share knowledge about your new community with you and your family.
- Develop relationships and engage in shared networks in your new community.
- Gain insight into resources that will help you thrive during transition.
- Make the transition less stressful for you and your family.
How will the sponsor work with me ?
- Sponsors will contact you at least once a week via email, text or phone.
- Sponsors will meet with you in person (or teleconference) at least once a month.
- Sponsors will share their knowledge of the local area and available resources with you.
- Sponsors will guide you in identifying goals and developing action plans to achieve these goals.
How can I be sure that my sponsor and I will work well together?
- Every sponsor is certified by the VA.
- Service members, Veterans and sponsors work directly with the ETS-SP Regional POC who assists on the journey.
- ETS-SP is successful only with a solid relationship between you and your sponsor and wants your relationship to work!
Who can be a sponsor?
Anyone- military or civilian- who cares about our service members and veterans and is willing and able to commit the time.
What does the training look like?
- Sponsors participate in three virtual training sessions, typically about 2 hours long and conducted on weeknights.
- Upon graduation, sponsors are certified and matched with a transitioning service member.
- Sponsors participate at least quarterly in one-hour virtual professional development classes, offered monthly.
What are the sponsor’s responsibilities?
- Sponsors contact the Veteran at least once a week via email, text or phone.
- Sponsors meet the Veteran in person (or teleconference) at least once a month.
- Sponsors guide the Veteran in identifying goals and developing action plans to achieve these goals.
- Sponsors share their knowledge of the local area and available resources with the Veteran.
- Sponsors, who are trained and caring, make ETS-SP effective and unique in its mission.
Who will help me on this journey?
Throughout the journey with the transitioning service member, the ETS-SP leadership and regional contacts serve as a network of support for our sponsors. They provide tips on building relationships and guidance along the way. Sponsors are not alone!